Impact of Hypoglycemia on Brain Ketone and Neurotransmitter Metabolism in Type 1 DM
- Study HIC#:1208010648
- Last Updated:01/01/0001
This study is being done to look at brain metabolite concentrations under normal and low blood sugar conditions. In addition, we will determine how your brain is able to use ketone bodies as an energy source.
- Age18 years and older
For more information about this study, including how to volunteer, contact:
- Phone Number: 1-203-785-5977
Help Us Discover!
You can help our team find trials you might be eligible for by creating a volunteer profile in MyChart. To get started, create a volunteer profile, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call +18779788343 for more information.
Trial Purpose and Description
To determine the long-term effect of severe antecedent hypoglycemia in T1DM pateints on brain energy subtrate metabolism, in particular ketone body metabolism
- Type 1 diabetes of > 5 years
- C-peptide negative
- Age 18-60 years
- On intensive insulin therapy
- HbA1c <7.5%
- Age 18-65 years
- Significant baseline anemia (hemoglobin <11.0 or hematocrit <33%)
- A history of liver cirrhosis or porto-caval shunt surgery
- Any contraindications for MRI scanning, including presence of metallic implants or claustrophobia
- Vegetarian diet
- Heavy exercise on a regular basis (i.e. marathon runners)
- Subjects with a history of anxiety/panic attacks